+0  
 
0
136
1
avatar

 

Two teams, A and B, are about to play a game. Previous records show that A has an 80% chance of winning, while B has a 20% of winning. Spectators can either choose to buy regular tickets or special tickets. A spectator with a special ticket will receive a refund of $2 if team A wins and a refund of $5 if team B wins. How much extra, minimally, should the special ticket cost to cover the expected value of the refunds offered?

Guest Apr 16, 2018

Best Answer 

 #1
avatar+797 
+3

To find the expected value, we do this:

 

(20/100)*5 + (80/100)*2 = 13/5

 

13/5 is the expected value. 

 

This means, that the special ticket should cost 13/5 more than the regular ticket to cover the cost of the refunds.

 

If you need help with expected values problems, you should watch this video explaining how to find the expected value:

 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DAjVAEDil_Q

 

hope this helped!

GYanggg  Apr 16, 2018
 #1
avatar+797 
+3
Best Answer

To find the expected value, we do this:

 

(20/100)*5 + (80/100)*2 = 13/5

 

13/5 is the expected value. 

 

This means, that the special ticket should cost 13/5 more than the regular ticket to cover the cost of the refunds.

 

If you need help with expected values problems, you should watch this video explaining how to find the expected value:

 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DAjVAEDil_Q

 

hope this helped!

GYanggg  Apr 16, 2018

11 Online Users

avatar

New Privacy Policy

We use cookies to personalise content and advertisements and to analyse access to our website. Furthermore, our partners for online advertising receive information about your use of our website.
For more information: our cookie policy and privacy policy.