+0  
 
+5
597
6
avatar+1068 

A father wishes to divide a square piece of land among his five sons. One son is his favorite, and he wants to give him one quarter of the land, as shown:

+-------+-------+ | | | | | | | | | +-------+ | | | | | | | +---------------+  

How can he divide the remaining land into four plots of equal size and shape?

civonamzuk  May 16, 2015

Best Answer 

 #2
avatar+26329 
+18

Land share

.

Alan  May 16, 2015
Sort: 

6+0 Answers

 #1
avatar
+5

all right.

so he is giving his favourite son 25% of the land, leaving a remaining 75%

four sons are left.

so we divide 75 by 4.

(18.75.)

so each one of the other sons gets 18.75 percen of the remaining land.

from the picture above, imagine removing the top left quarter.

now, take the top half of the top right corner and place it on the bottom left corner.

so now, split the remaining shape at 25%, 50% and 75% of the way across.

and there we have it :)

Guest May 16, 2015
 #2
avatar+26329 
+18
Best Answer

Land share

.

Alan  May 16, 2015
 #3
avatar+4663 
0

Cool question, both Anon and Alan are right.

 

I would've answered it like anon because i don't know how to get that image up.

 

How do you? It would make the answer more clear.

MathsGod1  May 16, 2015
 #4
avatar+91039 
0

I agree MG. This was a good question, thanks Civonamzuk.

And Alan has given a great answer.  Thanks Alan

Melody  May 16, 2015
 #5
avatar+1068 
+5

The guy who inherited a center piece of the land, must be in a good relationship with, at least, one of his brothers.

civonamzuk  May 16, 2015
 #8
avatar+91039 
+5

YES Civonamzuk - this is true.

Otherwise he may need to purchase a helicopter.   

 

I have added this one to our Puzzle thread

Melody  May 17, 2015

9 Online Users

avatar
We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.  See details