+0  
 
0
48
1
avatar

1. You are shopping in a city where the sales tax rate is 9.25%.

(a) How much, including tax, would you pay for a sewing machine that costs $1200?

(b) The sewing machine is on sale for 25% off! If you apply the 25% discount, then the 9.25% sales tax, then what is the final cost?

(c) What is the final cost if you first apply the 9.25% sales tax, and then the 25% discount?

(d) The machine is on sale for 25% off, and the store offers to pay your sales tax for you. What percent do you save, compared to what you would have paid in part (a)? Round to the nearest percent.

(e) The owner of the store says you saved 25% plus 9.25% for a total of 34.25%. Is she right?

 Oct 9, 2020
 #1
avatar
+1

a - 1200 * 1.0925 =1,311 dollars

 

b - 1200 * 0.75 =900 dollars - after 25% discount

900 * 1.0925 =983.25 - cost of the sewing machine.

 

c - 1,311 * 0.75 =983.25 - same as "b"

 

d - 1200 * 0.75 =900 dollars

1,311 - 900 =411 dollars in savings compared to "a"

411 / 1311 =31.35% =~31% in savings comapared to "a"

 

e - No, you saved the percentage in "d" or about 31%

 Oct 9, 2020

36 Online Users

avatar
avatar