+0  
 
0
2
1
avatar+354 

In a store window, there was a box of berries having a total weight of 200 kg.  The berries were 99% water, by weight.  After two days in the sun, the water content of the berries was only 90%, by weight.  What was the total weight of the berries after two days, in kg?

 Jun 26, 2024
 #1
avatar+14 
0

To find the total weight of the berries after two days, we can follow these steps: 1. Initially, the box of berries weighed 200 kg, and 99% of this weight was water. This means the weight of water in the berries was 0.99 * 200 kg = 198 kg. 2. Since the remaining 1% of the weight was the actual berry material, the weight of the berries themselves was 0.01 * 200 kg = 2 kg. 3. After two days in the sun, the water content decreased to 90%. This means the weight of water in the berries after two days was 0.9 * total weight of the berries. 4. The weight of the berries remained the same at 2 kg, so the weight of water after two days is 0.9 * total weight - 2 kg. 5. We know that the weight of water after two days was originally 198 kg. So, we can set up the equation: 0.9 * total weight - 2 kg = 198 kg. 6. Solving this equation will give us the total weight of the berries after two days. Let's solve the equation: 0.9×total weight−2=198 Adding 2 to both sides: 0.9 × total weight = 200 Dividing by 0.9: total weight = 0.9200​ ≈ 222.22 kg Therefore, the total weight of the berries after two days would be approximately 222.22 kg.

laughlaughlaugh

 Jun 26, 2024

2 Online Users

avatar
avatar