We use cookies to personalise content and advertisements and to analyse access to our website. Furthermore, our partners for online advertising receive pseudonymised information about your use of our website. cookie policy and privacy policy.
 
+0  
 
0
46
1
avatar+90 

Today there is a 60% chance of rain, a 30% chance of lightning, and a 15% chance of lightning and rain together.

1) Determine if rain today and lightning today are independent events?

A)The two events are independent because P(lightning) ⋅ P(rain) = 0.15 does not equal P(lightning and rain) = 0.18.

B)The two events are not independent because P(lightning) ⋅ P(rain) = 0.15 does not equal P(lightning and rain) = 0.18.

C)The two events are independent because P(lightning) ⋅ P(rain) = 0.18 does not equal P(lightning and rain) = 0.15

D)The two events are not independent because P(lightning) ⋅ P(rain) = 0.18 does not equal P(lightning and rain) = 0.15

 

2) Now suppose that today there is a 60% chance of rain, a 30% chance of lightning, and a 10% chance of lightning if it’s raining. What is the chance of both rain and lightning today?

A)3%

B)6%

C)12%

D)18%

 Mar 29, 2019
 #1
avatar+4775 
+1

\(\text{If rain and lightning are independent then }\\ P[\text{rain AND lightning}]=P[\text{rain}]P[\text{lightning}]\\ 0.15 \neq 0.6 \cdot 0.3 = 0.18\\ \text{that's choice C}\)

 

\(P[\text{rain AND lightning}] = \\ P[\text{lightning |raining}]P[\text{raining}] = \\ (0.1)(0.6) = 0.06 = 6\%\\ \text{Choice B}\)

.
 Mar 29, 2019

9 Online Users