+0  
 
0
60
1
avatar

dave collected 30% more stamps than John. dave gave away 15% of his stamps while john gave away 60% of his stamps. John had 282 fewer stamps than dave in the end .how many stamps did dave have at first.

 Jul 25, 2020
 #1
avatar+27605 
+1

d = dave original #  =   1.3 j

dave gives away 15%   leaving 85% of 1.3j   =   (.85)(1.3)(j)

 

j gives away 60% leaving 40%     .4 j  left

 

(.85)(1.3)(j) = 282 + .4j 

1.105 j  = 282 + .4j

.705j = 282

j = 400 originally        then dave had   1.3 (400) = 520

 Jul 25, 2020

61 Online Users

avatar
avatar
avatar