Three of the vertices of a parallelogram are (4,5), (1,0), and (2,2) Find the area of the parallelogram.
Take out a sheet of graph paper.
1) Plot the point (1,0); call this point A.
2) Plot the point (2,2); call this point B.
3) Plot the point (4,5); call this point C.
4) Draw the line segments AB and BC; these will be the bottom and the right side of the parallelogram.
5) Use this diagram to find point D.
6) Find the length BC using the distance formula: distance = sqrt[ (x2 - x1)2 + (y2 - y1)2 ]
7) Find the distance between BC and AD.
8) Use the results of step 6 and step 7 to find the area of the parallelogram.