+0  
 
0
87
1
avatar

The lengths of two opposite sides of a square are decreased by 40% while the lengths of the other two sides are increased by 60% to form a rectangle. By what percent does the square's area decrease?

 Jul 1, 2022
 #1
avatar+124676 
+1

The original area = s^2

 

The new area is   (s) (1 - .40) *   (s ) (1 + .60) =

 

s^2  ( .60) (1.60)  =

 

.96s^2

 

The area decreases by    1 - .96 =  .04 =   4%

 

 

cool cool cool

 Jul 1, 2022

13 Online Users