1. An organization has 50 people, and 4 of the people are running for president. Each of the 50 people votes for one of the 4 candidates. How many different vote totals are possible?
2. An organization has 50 people, and 4 of the people are running for president. Each of the 50 people either votes for one of the 4 candidates, or can abstain from voting. How many different vote totals are possible?
3. I have 8 identical pieces of cherry candy and 7 identical pieces of melon candy. Find the number of ways I can distribute this candy to 4 children.
4. I have 6 identical pieces of candy to distribute to a group of 5 children. Two of the children in the group are twins, and they insist on receiving an equal amount of candy. How many ways can I distribute the candy?
When is this due? I sense a feeling of urgency here!
You can see my answer to this question here:
3. stick and dot method seperately for each candy. 11C3 * 10C3 = 19800
4. stick and dot method for each case of the twins having a certain number.
0 each = 8C2
1 each = 6C2
2 each = 4C2
3 each = 2C2
Add them and you get 50.
reply if you want a more detailed explanation