We use cookies to personalise content and advertisements and to analyse access to our website. Furthermore, our partners for online advertising receive pseudonymised information about your use of our website. cookie policy and privacy policy.
 
+0  
 
0
168
3
avatar+107 

The Signature juice blend is 60% orange and 40% lemon, I have 10 quarts of blend X which is 80% orange and 20% lemon and 10 quarts of blend Y which is 20% orange and 20% lemon. How many quarts of blend X will I need to make 10 quarts of signature juice?

 Dec 21, 2018
 #1
avatar+18311 
+2

Cannot be done ...... with the two concentrations for X and Y given.

   X  and Y BOTH have lemon concentration as 20%........combining them in ANY ratio will only result in Lemon 20%....signature is 40 % lemon and you cannot make that.

 Dec 21, 2018
 #2
avatar+107 
0

I apologize. Typo. The Y blend is 20% orange and 80% lemon

MacTyBoys  Dec 21, 2018
 #3
avatar+100471 
+2

Let n be the number of quarts of Blend X  and (10- n) the number of quarts of Blend Y

 

Orange concentration in X  * n  +  orange concentration in Y * (10 - n)  =  .10 quarts at 60% orange

Lemon concentration in X * n  +  lemon concentraion in Y * (10-n) = 10 quarts at 40% lemon

 

We have this system

 

 

.80n +  .20 (10 -n)  =  10(.60)

.20n  + .80 (10-n)  = 10(.40)               simplify   [ multiply through by 10 ]

 

8n + 2(10-n) = 60

2n+ 8 (10 - n) = 40         simplify more

 

8n + 20 - 2n  = 60

2n+ 80 - 8n   = 40

 

6n + 20  = 60

-6n + 80 = 40

 

6n = 40

-6n = -40

 

Note that  n    =  40/6 qts   makes both equations true = quarts of Blend X = 6 + 2/3 qts

And Blend Y = 3 + 1/3  qts

 

 

cool cool cool

 Dec 21, 2018

38 Online Users

avatar
avatar
avatar
avatar
avatar