+0  
 
-1
113
1
avatar

The weather forecast for the weekend is a 46% chance of rain for Saturday and a 54% chance of rain for Sunday. If we assume that consecutive days are independent events.What is the probability that it rains over the weekend (either Saturday or Sunday)?

 Mar 2, 2020
 #1
avatar+21955 
+1

Probability that it will rain:

-- on both Saturday and Sunday  :  0.46 x 0.54  =  0.2484

-- on Saturday but not on Sunday:  0.46 x 0.46  =  0.2116

-- on Sunday but not on Saturday:  0.54 x 0.54  = 0.2916

 

On Saturday or Sunday (inclusive or  --  possibly both)  =  0.2484 + 0.2116 + 0.2916  =  0.7516

On Saturday or Sunday (exclusive or  -- one or the other, but not both)  =  0.2116 + 0.2916  =  0.5032

 

This may be somewhat confusing because "not Sunday"  =  1.00 - 0.54  =  0.46 (the same as "on Saturday") and

"not Saturday"  =  1.00 - 0.46  =  0.54 (the same as "on Sunday").

 Mar 2, 2020

9 Online Users